Coronary CTA Preparations
Before the study
- Do not consume any form of caffeine 12 hours prior to the study.
- Do not eat any solid foods 4 hours prior to the study.
- Drink two 8 ounce glasses of water 1 hour before study.
- Take 100 mg. of Metoprolol (Lopressor) orally 1 hour prior to study.
During the study
- You will have contrast (x-ray dye) for this study. A needle will be placed in your left arm, around the elbow area.
- You will have a 4-lead EKG attached to monitor your heart rate.
- You will have oxygen, via nasal canula (oxygen tube under your nose), to help your "breath-hold" during the study.
- You will receive one squirt of nitroglycerine during your exam (under your tongue).
After the study
- Be sure to eat and drink plenty of fluid after the study.
More in this section: